- Expressions LTD Glow Rocks are made of Glass. Glass is for concrete. There are cheaper products on the market made of resin instead of glass. Resin expands and contracts when hot/cold. Things that expand and contract in your concrete are not good... Our Glass product doesn't shrink, doesn't swell in the heat, is non toxic, and can be polished just like any aggregate.
- Glow Rocks can be used in a number of applications. Example uses: Place in concrete countertops, floors, epoxy coatings, sidewalks, steps, and driveways.
- Photoluminescent materials (commonly called "glow-in-the-dark") has the ability to absorb light (sunlight, fluorescent, incandescent, etc) and then to emit light. When ambient darkness occurs, it becomes highly visible, lasting at least 8 hours, and up to 20 hours. Upon removal of the light source, the stored light is gradually released, the strongest glow is produced during the first 30 minutes of darkness, the most critical period following a power failure or other emergency. Then it fades over a period of time, when there is light again, it stores energy again.
- The glowing effect created is both beautiful, and a safety element at night.
- Glow Rocks and Sands have an expected lifespan of twenty years.
- Made of glass and ceramic elements.
- Non-toxic, Non-radioactive. Photoluminescent materials contain no phosphorus or lead, or any other hazardous element or chemical. The term phosphorence is sometimes used to describe luminescence, but these photoluminescent materials contain no phosphorus.
- How it works: The basic principle of photoluminescence is simple: electrons orbiting atoms or molecules absorb energy through collision with photons during excitation. They then emit this excess energy as photons of (usually visible) light at a later time.
- This product meets the safety regulations for IMO Resolution A. 752 (18), ASTM, DIN 67510 Parts 1-4, UL 924 JIS-Z9107:1998, and ISO_17398.
- Sold in 1/2 lbs. sizes.
- Available in colors: (See below for pictures)
- Exit Yellow (Daytime: Yellow. Nighttime: Yellow/Green Glow)
- Radioactive Green (Daytime: Teal. Nighttime: Green/Bluish Glow)
- Ghost White (Daytime: Whitish/Light Green. Nighttime: Bright Blue/White Glow)
- Ghost White is the most intense, brightest glow of them all.
- Arctic Blue (Daytime: Blue. Nighttime: Blue Glow)
- Dirty Red (Daytime: Red with some white (splotchy). Nighttime: Yellow/Green Glow)
- Dirty Red mimics natural aggregate during the day, and has a surprise glow in the dark.
- Available in sizes:
- Small Chips: (Average chip size: 1/8" to 1/4", with some variance)
- Large Chips: (Average chip size: 1/4" to 1/2", with some variance)
- We still have a few bags of Yellow Fine Sand (Fine beach sand size), while supplies last.
- Coverage: Coverage will vary. Average use for a fairly dense 'glow' effect is one 0.5 lbs bag of Glow Rocks spread over a 10 sq. ft. area.
- Use: For precast concrete, spread the Glow Rocks over the form material as desired. For GFRC, spray the face coat over the Rocks. For Wetcast, you may want to use small amounts of silicone to hold the Glow Rocks in place, so they don't 'float' up into the concrete, and away from your finished surface. For in-place concrete, just broadcast over the freshly placed concrete, and carefully trowel down into the surface. Cast in place can make seeing the Glow Rocks difficult if they get pushed under the cream, so you may need to lightly sand the concrete later, or us a muriatic acid wash to eat away a little of the concrete surface to help expose the Glow Rocks again.