Trinic Concrete Vertical and Carving Mix - CAR-VZ
CAR-VZ is a pre-blended powdered admixture for vertical carving applications. Add to Portland Cement & Sand to create the carving mix.
- Excellent adhesion for vertical and overhead applications
- Optimum carving properties
- Includes a specialty fiber to reduce cracking, invisible to the naked eye, and will not affect the carving experience
- Simple one dose powdered admixture
- Enhanced freeze/thaw protection
- Reduces efflorescence
- We recommend using this with Type I or II portland cement and Playsand or Mason's sand.
Specifications- Trinic Concrete Vertical and Carving Mix - CAR-VZ
- Sold in 36lb bags
- 36lb bag of CAR-VZ will create 6 cubic feet of a carving mix!
- Download: Tech Data Sheet
- Download: Safety Data Sheet
Dosing / Mixing Instructions Trinic Concrete Vertical and Carving Mix - CAR-VZ
- Car-VZ is designed to provide excellent performance at 12% of the cement weight. Optimum performance when dosed at 17% of cement weight.
- When making your mix from scratch we suggest the following example as a good starting point:
- 94 # of type I Portland cement
- 12 # of Car-VZ
- 3 (5-gallon) pails of coarse sand (1/8” minus)
Water is added slowly during mixing to meet your desired consistency. Make some trials and adjust as preferred
- When adding Car-VZ to a pre-blended mortar mix figure that the blend is roughly 33% cement. For example:
- 1-80 lb. bag of mortar mix will contain about 26.5 lb. of cement. 26.5 lb X 0.12 lb = 3 lb of Car-VZ.
- Water is added slowly during mixing to meet your desired consistency.
- To further customize / personalize your desired mix you can add additional fiber / clay or any material of your choice.
Application Tips- Trinic Concrete Vertical and Carving Mix - CAR-VZ
- Can be applied in various thicknesses, minimum thickness: 1 inch. Percentage factor of shrinkage cracks increase as thickness has been decreased.
- In the event of “overhead” installation, fireclay can be added to increase “stickiness” for this application. Quantity to vary on a site to site basis. Installer should conduct test samples prior to installation as sand size and gradients impact the “hanging” effect. Smaller sand grits tend to hang less compared to a standard construction sand. The larger sand outputs less definition in the final carving stage. User definable.
- Sand size will affect the overall performance of Car-VZ, which is highly desirable, as it can render a multitude of textures:
- Wood Grain: Fine sand size is preferred for simulated wood grain as “high texture definition” is required.
- Rock: This can vary as rock texture varies from one type to the next. The methodology is the finer the sand size the smoother the rock finish will be. Coarser sands generate a more pronounced texture.
- Hand applied install: saturate scratch coat with a water polymer mix • When applying, make proper measures not to entrap air between scratch coat surface and Car-VZ.
- Water demand for mixing: This will vary as sand holds water which will affect the overall demand. Environmental conditions need to be taken into consideration when placing Car-VZ