Poly Plasticine Mold Making Clay
- A special blend of non-hardening, sulfur-free modeling clay
- Smooth, Firm consistency ideal for:
- Caulking in concrete forms/molds
- Creating rubber/silicone/latex molds
- Non-toxic and odorless
- Sold in 5lbs, 25lbs and 50lbs sizes.
- Each 5lb size is appox. 3.5" x 4.25" x 5.5" in size (82 cubic inches)
- Clay can be used with inexpensive Hand Extruders (like these on Amazon) to help pre-shape the clay into long 'ribbons' to place in the mold/form.
- A larger Industrial Extruder (like this one on Amazon) is suited for shops making concrete countertops daily. It comes with different "dies" to shape the clay into 'filets' that are easy to use. Some customers have made their own 'die' using a blank piece of metal and a Dremel, for this extruder, so the clay comes out almost perfect for the shape of the desired countertop edge.
- Using Caulking Tools (sold here) is a great way to shape this clay into your forms and molds and keep a perfect edge shape.
- Documentation: Polyplasticine Clay Safety Data Sheet.
Clay as Caulking
For the purposes of sealing, clay can often be easier to work with than hot glue or silicone caulking (and clay is recyclable!), especially when it’s warmed for easier application. Simply heat the clay in an oven, set at 140°F, or in a sunny spot, and it will be very easy to work.
Any mold or form can be quickly sealed with clay. This is a common practice that helps prevent concrete or rubber mold making material from leaking. Using clay instead of silicone for concrete forms is great because not only is the clay reusable, but there is no wait time required for it to dry (like silicone). Once the clay is in the corners, you can proceed directly to casting the concrete piece!