- Concrete Expressions sealer is an FDA approved concrete sealer is a cost-saving approach for basic sealing needs. If you are looking for maximum durability protection such as for a kitchen, consider using the XS-327 Sealer (sold here) instead.
- Very simple and easy to apply, fast drying, and dries to a 'soft' satin finish.
- New Formula- applies easier, and reduces chances of peeling when applied too thick.
- Concrete Expressions FDA Sealer is designed to seal and protect all common concrete and masonry surfaces, and porous stone- including countertops, sidewalks, patios, courtyards, walkways, driveways, parking garages, pool decks, most vertical concrete surfaces, travertine tile, slate, showers, and more.
- High-performance water-borne acrylic concrete sealer.
- Nonflammable and UV stable.
- Meets USDA/FDA guidelines for use in food preparation areas.
- Exceeds ADA requirements.
- Durable and abrasion resistant.
- Use on interior and exterior surfaces.
- Resists flaking and peeling.
- No primer required.
- Color enhances the concrete slightly bringing out a little color of the concrete or stone.
- FREEZING POTENTIAL: This sealer should not be allowed to freeze. During freezing temperatures, it should be shipped via UPS Next Day Air. Expressions LTD is not liable for any product freezing during transit.
- Available in 16oz, 32oz, 64oz, and 128oz sizes.
- View TDS/Application Guide.
- View SDS.
- 16 ounce (1 pint): Covers approx. 40-50 square feet of concrete, per coat.
- 32 ounce (1 quart): Covers approx. 75-100 square feet of concrete, per coat.
- 64 ounce (1/2 gallon): Covers approx. 150-200 square feet of concrete, per coat.
- 128 ounce (1 gallon): Covers approx. 300-400 square feet of concrete, per coat.
- Typically 2-3 coats should be applied for maximum protection.
- Surface Preparation Concrete surface must be structurally sound and free of any contaminant that could act as a bonk breaker. This includes loose/weak areas of the concrete, form release, silicone residue, other sealers, paints, curing compounds, dust, dirt, oil, etc.
- Concrete surface can be cleaned using a surface Etch Prep product (sold here) or by scrubbing with hot water and mild detergent, ground/polished, or high-pressure power washing.
- If previous sealers are present, they should be removed by a stripping agent, such as Soy Gel (sold here).
- Concrete surface MUST BE COMPLETELY DRY for this sealer to successfully bond.
- Surface and air temperature must be between 50°F (10°C) and 90°F (32°C) for the sealer to bond.
- Application Tools recommended: Foam paint roller, Mohair roller, or HVLP sprayer.
- Ensure concrete surface is properly prepared as outlined above before applying the sealer. A last minute cleaning using compressed air is recommended to remove any fine dirt or dust. Make sure the concrete is completely dry to avoid any possibility or discoloration during cure. For concrete countertops, 7-10 days is usually sufficient curing time, but different concrete mixes and temperatures can affect cure times.
- Tape or mask off any areas that are not to be sealed.
- A minimum of two coats of sealer should be applied. Three coats is recommended. Allow 2 to 4 hours drying time (depending on ambient atmospheric conditions) between coats.
- Pour the Concrete Expressions FDA Sealer into a paint try and apply the sealer to the concrete surface using a foam roller or brush. Do not pour the sealer directly onto the concrete surface. Back-rolling with light pressure will reduce roller marks.
- For smoother application, spray the sealer using an HLVP sprayer, evenly coating the concrete surface. Back-rolling with a roller may be necessary to prevent puddles.
- Allow sealer to dry a minimum of 2 hours at 70°F (21°C) between coats. Allow to dry 24 hours before foot traffic/light use. Allow at least 72 hours for careful use, and 7 days for normal use.
- DO NOT apply sealer is surface and air temperatures are under 50°F (10°C) or over 90°F (32°C). Cool ambient and surface temperatures will slow drying time. Install quickly if the concrete surface is warm.
- When applying Concrete Expressions FDA Sealer outdoors, do not apply if high humidity, rain, or fog is expected within 6 to 8 hours of application, or if freezing temperatures could occur within 24 hours.
- Note: Concrete Expressions FDA Sealer is intended for sealing and protecting interior and exterior concrete surfaces that are subject to light countertop use, foot, and rubber-wheeled traffic. It is NOT intended for use in heavy manufacturing areas with heavy truck traffic or where resistance to solvents is required. Do not use in areas that are permanently submerged, such as fountains, swimming pools and bath tubs. Temporarily submerged areas, such as a concrete sink, are acceptable.
- Apply Concrete Countertop FDA (food-safe) Wax to concrete countertops a few days after sealer has been applied. Floor grade Anti-Microbial acrylic wax can be used on treated concrete flooring areas.
- Keeping the sealed concrete surface treated with the Wax will prolong the life and appearance of the sealer. The wax is considered a 'sacrificial coating' that will help protect against staining, and absorb some of the wear and tear on the surface
- Clean with normal house-hold cleaners (such as 409).
- Avoid scrubbing or using abrasive pads to clean the surface.
- Avoid cutting directly on concrete surface.
- Avoid extreme heat directly on concrete surface (use a hot pad instead of setting hot pans on the surface).
- Concrete Expressions FDA Sealer may need to be re-applied every few years in high-traffic areas, such as a kitchen countertop surface. Bathroom countertops may need to be re-applied every 3-4 years. If the sealed surface gets scratched, or gets dark spots when you wipe the surface with water, then it should be re-sealed.
- Re-sealing is fairly simple. The existing countertop surface should be lightly sanded with 200 grit sandpaper on a palm sander. Clean the surface to remove any residual wax, grease, food, etc. The surface MUST be totally clean and dry, free of any possible bond-breaking contaminant. A final cleaning with denatured alcohol helps ensure a good bond.
- Re-apply the sealer as outlined in the steps above.
- Clean out rollers or sprayer thoroughly with hot water.
- When not in use, keep the container tightly sealed. Store container at room temperature (50°F /10°C to 90°F /32°C). Protect from freezing and extreme heat.
- If the container is exposed to freezing temperatures and the sealer appears congealed or stringy, do not use.
- Storage life is 1 year unopened.
works great. I'm glad I sealed my counter tops before I did my stucco color coat on the base. The over splashes wiped right off. Really sheds water. very easy to apply
Easy to work with. Works well with HVLP sprayer
It worked as intended and looked nice. I can't speak to the durability yet but hopefully it works well. There was a grammatical/spelling error on the bottle though, by the way.
Sealer arrived as expected applied three coats on my bathroom countertop with a foam roller so far so good!
Used the Mission Brown concrete stain with the expressions sealer. It turned out nice but I think the sealer took away from the the stains vibrant color. All and all I'm still happy with how it turned out...