How Do You Apply SureCrete Micro Topping Thin Concrete Overlay Mix?
We’ll show you the best way to use Micro Topping:
- Any surface receiving a cementitious coating must be clean, cured, sound and profiled. See our Surface Preparation products for more information on accomplishing this
- Make sure that temperatures will remain between 50 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit and there will be no precipitation in the applied areas for a 48 hour period following application.
- Add 5 quarts water per 40 lb bag to 5 gal bucket and mix in any color desired for integral coloring of Micro Topping
- Slowly introduce Micro Topping while continuously mixing and mix for a minimum of 1 minute once all product has been emptied into a container. Scrape the sides of the bucket to make sure there are no “dry pockets” that didn’t get mixed properly.
- Mist the surface of the concrete with water, and pour out a generous amount of Micro Topping thin concrete overlay.
- Tightly trowel or squeegee the product over your entire application area.
- If you need a second coat of Micro Topping thin concrete overlay, only wait until the surface is properly cured – between 2-6 hours. Then just apply the same as the first layer!
- Once the surface is dry to the touch, it can accept stains and secondary colorants at this point and is also ready to receive a sealer. Typical indoor applications would utilize a polyurethane or polyaspartic sealer from our DuraKote line of products.
Frequently Asked Questions About Micro Topping Thin Concrete Overlay:
Do I have to use two coats of Micro Topping?
Not necessarily. It depends on completely upon the design you’re looking for and the substrate you’re working with.
How do I make those nice tape patterns in thin concrete overlay?
They’re fairly simple to create, just check out our Design Ideas or Videos section for a few pointers. If nothing else, feel free to attend one of our local training opportunities throughout the country.
Can I mix Micro Topping in large batches?
While mixing in large batches can be done, it is important never to mix up more than can be applied within a 45-minute time frame.
Why are there different colors and cracks shadowing through my Micro Topping Thin Concrete Overlay
Micro Topping is applied at such a thin rate that imperfections will likely show through in the first coat of the product, this would be a case where a second layer would probably be desired.
Specs and Properties of Micro Topping:
Coverage Approx 200-300 square foot (Varies based on substrate and application)
VOC Rating 0 g/L
Shelf Life 1 year in original unopened container
Mixing Ratio 5-6 quarts water per 40 lb bag
Base Color White or Gray
Density 126.1 lbs/cubic foot
Compressive Strength ASTM C-109: 4,278 PSI @ 28 days
Flexural Strength ASTM C-348: 995 PSI @ 28 days
Tensile Strength ASTM C-190: 440 PSI @ 28 days
Abrasion Resistance ASTM D-4060: 28
days %loss – 500 cycles – less than 0.50%
Mosaic Shear ANSI A 118.4: 280 PSI @ 28 days