- Our Concrete Pigment Veining Kit can be used to add veining in pre-cast Concrete Countertops.
- Creating 'veins' in concrete achieved by mixing small amounts of pigment with a cement-slurry (Slurry sold here) and carefully placing along a wet-edge of concrete in a precast form. Please scroll down to the bottom of this page to see an example video for a veining technique.
- Kit includes 10 pigment colors, 4oz. each, by volume (about 0.20 lbs of each color).
- Colors: Please view the color chart. Depending how much of the color pigment you add to the cement slurry, will change the concentrated color of the concrete/vein. Color codes included in this kit are: 230, 553, 15.4, 101, Ti02, 1311, 1830, 1880, 5376, 680
- For example, color 553 can create many 'orange' shades, based on how much pigment is added, and if the cement is gray or white.
- How much to use? Based on the color chart, you will see a weight on each color. That is how many lbs. of the pigment you would add to color one 94 lb bag of cement (not concrete, just the cement content in the concrete)!
- So on a small scale, if you had 1lb of cement slurry to pigment, and wanted to get color similar to: 553 Sandstone -1lb, you would use 1/94 lbs, which is 0.0106 lbs, or 0.175 ounces (by weight). A little color pigment goes a long way!
- Tip for coloring cement: Take a small amount of the cement slurry you need to make the veining desired, and add tiny amounts of the color pigment at a time, mixing thoroughly before adding more. Take a small amount of the slurry, get it wet, and for best results, spread it on a board and let it dry out. This should give you an idea of the vein when dry, but remember most sealers will bring out the color, so you could dab some sealer on it, or just mist it with water to get a close idea what color will show when sealed.
- The DCI Colors can also be used in any cement based product, from stucco, overlays, mortar, grout, etc.
- These pigments are high quality, dry, lightfast, odorless, alkali and weather resistant, UV stable, non-hazardous, chemically inert, water insoluble and are tested to the ASTM C979 standard.
- Appropriate for indoor and outdoor projects
- Larger quantities of these colors are available, please contact us if interested.
Example Video of the 'basics' of creating a vein in a concrete surface: